Friday, December 10, 2004

Chapter 10


Second & Third Phase

PHASE #2

1) CLIENT IS WORKING ON HIMSELF/HERSELF AND FAMILY
The Client will be living at home attending Straight from 9:00am to 9:00pm Monday through Saturday. Sunday from 2:00pm to 9:00pm.

2) Again, no making or receiving telephone calls, letters, etc. No television, radio, or reading (except the Bible)

3) The Client is not permitted to have visitors, nor is the parents or siblings to have visitors while the Client is in the home.

4) The responsibility is now for the parents to get the Client to and from Straight promptly at the designated times.

5) NO stops offs are permitted to or from Straight and the Client is not permitted to leave the actual house other than going to Straight.

6) The Client may at this time have a Newcomer sometime after adjusting to home and family.
Again, Moral Inventory is mandatory daily.

7) DIME THERAPY
Explanation: To be used in emergencies only. The Client will have three (3) or more phone numbers of Clients on Phase 4 or 5 of the program, which he/she can use for an emergency problem that might arise in the home. A parent must dial the phone number; get the 4th or 5th Phaser on the phone before letting the Client talk.

On second phase I was no longer led around by the belt loop and I could wear a belt. What a relief. The only thing I was allowed to read was the Bible. Watching TV and listening to the radio were still prohibited. The only way I could make a phone call was to have my mom or dad call the person on my dime-therapy list and make sure that person was on the line before getting on the phone to talk. Sending or receiving mail was still not allowed. I was not allowed to go outside except when going to Straight.

An Oldcomer is given a lot of responsibility around the building. Standing at a door was one of the most important responsibilities an Oldcomer could have. While standing at a door one must keep a constant watch on the Group. I was responsible for determining who could enter or leave the group room. Staff Members and the Runner were always allowed to come and go as needed without hesitation. As the Staff Member approached the door I had to be able to tell if he/she was going to be leaving the room. As soon as I knew for sure I opened the door very quickly. As soon as the Staff Member cleared the door, I shut to it as fast as possible, all the while never taking my eyes off the Group. If another Client wanted to leave the room he/she stood next to the door and both of us would raise our hands toward the Staff Members in front of the Group. Only after the Staff gave permission to leave the room was the door opened for them to exit. The most obvious danger while standing at a door was the possibility that someone from the Group could attempt to rush the door trying to cop-out. It was my responsibility to block the attempt. In most cases though, anyone attempting such a feat would be met by several other Clients tackling the person to the floor and restraining them until they were willing to sit back down in their chair. This was often followed by a strong confrontation and in some cases, disciplinary action. The average time someone would stand at a door was 4 hours, however it wasn’t unusual for me to stand at a door all day long.

Another job that an Oldcomer might be called upon to do is a Runner. A Runner was stationed at the reception area. He/she would wear a badge, often designed by other Runners, which identified the person as a Runner. The Runner would take telephone and other messages to Staff Members throughout the building. The Runner is the only person that can, in effect, break the Chain Of Command. He/she can approach any Staff Member regardless of Title in order to get a message to them. The Runner had to know the building pretty well, as Staff Members can be just about anywhere. When the Runner finds the Staff Member he/she stands about five feet away and raises his hand to the side to get the Staff Members attention. When the Staff Member acknowledges the Runner, he/she approaches the Staff Member and gives the message to them. As soon as it is delivered, the Runner quickly returns to the reception area. When not running messages, he/she usually talks with the Phoner, a 4th or 5th Phaser who is responsible for answering the phones. A Runner could also come and go from the Group room without having to get Staff permission to leave.

An Oldcomer is also responsible for leading Newcomers around the building. The first thing that is learned is exactly how to effectively hold onto a Newcomer by his/her belt loop. To do this the Oldcomer would take his/her prominent hand and place the middle finger sideways through the very rear belt loop. The belt-loop should go all the way to the bottom of the finger. From there the hand is turned so the fingers are pointing to the small of the Newcomers back. All four fingers should be placed inside the pants as a fist is made. The Newcomer is secure and most attempts by the Newcomer to escape will be thwarted. An experienced Oldcomer can safely handle two Newcomers, one in each hand.

The main objective on 2nd Phase is to establish a good family relationship. I was expected to be open and honest about everything that was going on in my life. I could talk about anything, even what happened in the Group that day so long as names weren’t mentioned. I told my parents how I was treated in St. Petersburg and shared about the different things I was confronted for. I told them of people attempting to cop-out. I told them about people getting sat on if they weren’t doing what was expected. I even told them about the Newcomer in St. Pete that stabbed his Oldcomer in the head.

My sister and I became closer than we had ever been before. She was so relived that I was finally getting the help that I needed and was proud of the accomplishments thus far.

I remember on February 10, I was in the car with my dad as he was driving me to the building. In the past, he and I hardly spoke when riding in the car. I suddenly realized it was happening again. We sat there, silent. The silence was almost deafening. Not a word spoken. I began to get scared. I started to cry and apologized to my dad. He and I started talking about how the incident felt. We had a great talk the rest of the way to the building. When I got in the Group room, I stood up and immediately started talking about the incident. I felt proud of myself for recognizing the need for the change and how quickly it was resolved.

One day I noticed a new Newcomer was being brought into the Group room. I was shocked to see it was Ted. You see Ted and I dated my girlfriend. In fact on the night that she and I went to a school dance, Ted showed up and wanted to get her back. I was terrified that he would beat me up. Ted is a rather large guy. Now, here he was in Straight. The Staff Member that brought him in explained that Ted really wanted to be here. He brought his parents here to sign him in. He was seventeen.

On February 12 was probably the worse day on 2nd Phase for me. I was selected to stand at a door during the Open Meeting. I was standing next to another Oldcomer. I wasn’t there for more than 10 minutes. Suddenly, I was being replaced at the door. I was confused. I sat down in the group, a little upset that I wasn’t going to be standing at a door. Just before the Open Meeting started, a 5th Phaser said that I had been reported for rocking out at the door. I was stunned. I know damn well I wasn’t doing anything out of the ordinary. I asked the 5th Phaser who said this. He said Tim reported me. This guy was still on 5th Phase but was promoted to Trainee. He was very arrogant and not many people like him. "Big surprise" I thought. I asked the 5th Phaser if he personally saw me rocking out. He said "no".

During the Open Meeting review, I was stood up and Tim started the confrontation. I really don’t remember how long it was, thinking back on it, I want to say that I stood up for myself and denied any wrongdoing. But as I read my MI from that night, I must have given in to the group. But today I can tell you; I did not rock out at the door that night. The next few days met with more confrontations. I was beginning to get frustrated. I remember times when I didn’t want to be at Straight, Inc. anymore. I remember days that I refused to motivate and talk with the Group. This only led to more confrontations. Looking back, I am really surprised I wasn’t started over.

During another Open Meeting, I remember "carving" on my arms. I used my fingernails to mark on myself. I was carving Denise’s name into my arm. There were other things I carved as well, but do not remember what it was. By the end of the Open Meeting, both my arms were swollen and red from all the carvings. My arms throbbed in pain. I was never confronted about this, but I remember preparing myself for it. Peggy had announced to the group that I was getting a Newcomer. I was excited about this prospect and the Newcomer was happy about it too. But someone raised their hand and told her that they didn’t feel comfortable with the idea of me taking a Newcomer home right now because I had spent the Open Meeting carving on myself. I suddenly realized my little game during the Open Meeting was going to have consequences. Peggy told me to stand up. I could feel every eye on my arms. I was embarrassed and ashamed. She looked at me and with a disgusted gruffness in her voice said, "What the fuck is wrong with you?" I just stood there and shrugged my shoulders and said, "I don’t know." Then she said something that absolutely shocked me. She said, "Have a seat." I couldn’t believe it. I wasn’t confronted, I wasn’t disciplined or anything. I remember telling myself that I would never carve again. I lost an opportunity to have a Newcomer and didn’t want to take a chance like that again.

On February 22 I put in for 3rd Phase. I’m not really sure why I put in for it. After all the second week on 2nd Phase was awful. So I wasn’t really surprised when I didn’t get it. That night I learned I really needed to slow down and accept the fact that my program was going to be longer then I wanted it to be. I was too anxious to get out.

I remember times when I was confronted because I wasn’t "sharing my feelings." I was really doing pretty well but there was no convincing the Group or Staff. It got to the point that I had to make stuff up and out right lie to them. When I was pushed for an answer lying was the only thing I could do some times. But that’s the kind of thing that happened to everyone. I learned that as long as feeling words were mentioned when I related, the Group was happy and for the most part the Staff was too.

I remember my parents getting letters from June. She was happy that I was getting help and she told them that she was looking forward to seeing me when I got out. I thought about her just about everyday. She was a real emotional support for me. But at the same time I missed Denise and thought of her often.

Finally, on March 5, 1982 I put in for and made 3rd Phase. I was really looking forward to getting a job so I could get away from the group for a while each day. But that would be easier said then done.











PHASE #3

1) THE CLIENT IS WORKING ON HIMSELF/HERSELF, FAMILY AND ACHIEVEMENT
This is the Phase the Client returns to school or work. The Client is to come directly to Straight from school or work.

2) When not attending school or work the Client is required to be at Straight, 7 days a week
Again, no making or receiving telephone calls, letters, etc. (exception- Dime Therapy) At this time the Client may read, listen to the radio and watch TV Parents should monitor and supervise reading material, television and music. This is all with PARENT CONSENT.

3) Again, the Client or family may not have visitors.
The responsibility again is the parents to get the Client to and from Straight, Inc. promptly at the designated times.

4) If the Client is to return to work, Staff must check out the job and they will notify you.
5) Doctor and dental as check-ups, not only emergencies, can be scheduled. The Client takes the initiative using the permission procedure.

6) Again, Moral Inventory is mandatory daily.

On 3rd Phase I could wear a watch, listen to the radio, watch TV, and could read. Anyone 16 years of age or older could obtain a Driving Permission but most Clients that drove were out of High School and at least 18. I was now expected to get a job. I was looking forward to getting out and working again. In order to apply for a job, I had to obtain permission from Staff to go job hunting.

These permission forms were very detailed. They were set up to teach one responsibility. I had to put the permission form in at least 72 hours in advance. I had to state what date I intended to go on this permission, what I intended to do on this permission, who I was going with, when I was leaving and what time I expected to return to the building.

When I wasn’t out looking for a job, I was required to be in the building 7 days a week. Often times, I was one of a very few Oldcomers in the building. Most of them were in school. I often times led the mini-raps in the Intake room in the morning. I loved doing this and in fact started toying with the idea of becoming a Staff Member in the future. I was also chosen to stand at a door most of the time.

Up to this point I didn’t have a Newcomer, I really wanted one. I finally got my first one on March 12, 1982. Although I don’t remember his name, he was one of the worst cases I had seen in the program. I got him home and while I was writing my MI, he started getting sick. His emesis was purple. He was addicted to Heroin and was now going through withdraws. I was scared to death for his well being. My parents called Staff. Someone came and took him to the hospital. I never saw him again. I was a little leery about taking another Newcomer for a while.
On that same night Steve was 7th Stepped. I remember saying good bye to him and that I would get with him once I got out of the program.

My next Newcomer was 19 or 20. He had a long brown beard and looked scary to me. I remember not sleeping a wink that night convinced that he would try to attack me and leave my house. I put in for another Newcomer and explained the fear I had.

On March 13, 1982 I wrote my MI about showing more appreciation for the Group and for Straight, Inc. I wrote that I honestly believed that if it weren’t for the program that I would be in jail, or dead. Then I wrote "The tough love that is given and the peer pressure is amazingly effective in getting Druggies straight." "The Group doesn’t let things slide by either. Inner motivation as well as outer motivation and the desire to live a better life is the key to getting straight, not just drug-free."

Believe it or not, I was still having a great deal of trouble relating in group on rap topics. It was very frustrating. Then, on March 17, 1982, I was confronted about this issue and was told to relax about it and don’t let it bother me any more. I was not going to be punished in any way for not having something to talk about. I can’t tell you how relieved I was. As it turned out, a lot of people were having the same kind of problem.

One day after exercise rap I was standing near the 5th Phase Desk. A person in the program who had been on 3rd Phase, and who had recently been started over was misbehaving. Sue had noticed that his zipper was down. "Put your zipper up." she requested. He looked at her and with a smirk on his face asked, "Why? Do you feel…Powerless?" Inside, I really wanted to bust out laughing. But seeing as how she was standing right next to me, I knew that if she heard me laugh I would be confronted next. So I pretended to be mad at him for showing her disrespect. To this day, I think it was the funniest statement every uttered to a Staff Member.

Although I don’t recall the exact date, it must have been around this time that Cathie made Staff Trainee. One other change was made that involved the Group Staff Supervisor. That position was no longer considered an Executive Staff Position.

On March 28, 1982 my mom showed me a newspaper clipping. As I read it, I felt a wave of shock come over me. A guy that I did drugs with from time to time had been shot while running from a yard after looting a car. The 40-year-old owner of the car fired a single .38 bullet at him, hitting him in the head. He was in serious condition at General Hospital. I believe he made a full recovery. It made me thankful that I was off the streets and in here, getting some help.

I continued to look for a job. A few more possibilities came up, but nothing definite. At this point, I had spent the better part of 129 days in group. Nearly 1,477 hours. But that was all about to change.

On April 5, 1982 I made 4th Phase. Now I was able to have 3 days off a week. I could hardly wait.